Saturday, July 30, 2011

A human life is a story told by God ~ Hans Christian Andersen

Lonnie Carlton Hadlock
1942-2011

Our Poppy

I was lucky enough to have two men in my life whom I would call "Dad", my own father and this man. I didn't have enough time with him but I know he treated me like a daughter and treated my kids like his own grandchildren. Poppy ( I called him Lon) always had a smile on his face, always happy to get a visit from us. He always had a story to tell me, something to make me laugh out loud.

I called the house one night to talk to Gran about some of my ancestors that I had found while doing my genealogy and Poppy answered the phone. I talked to him instead and he was genuinely interested in where my family had come from and had some interesting information of his own. We probably spent an hour on the phone. I will cherish that phone call forever.

I could be myself around Poppy. I could say what was on my mind and I knew that he would do the same. I will miss his smile and his witty sense of humor. I will miss his opinionated arguments about politics. I will miss the deep country sound of his voice. I will miss his laugh and the way he sweetly bickered with Granny. I am grateful that I see him in his son every day. 

I wanted to tell him goodbye, but I couldn't in front of everyone. I wanted to tell him to rest easy knowing that I will take care of his boy. I will do my best to make him happy and protect him from heartache. I wanted to tell him I was sorry that he wasn't going to see us become husband and wife. I wanted to tell him that I loved him like a father.

I want to be a part of his family because the love and closeness that I have seen the past week rivals that of any family I have seen. Poppy would have been amazed! But it won't be quite the same without him. I will remember that whenever I am missing him, I know where he is, and I know he would love a visit now as much as he ever did...

...but I will miss his smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment